Monday, June 15, 2009

Today, I set up a little "supermarket" with a couple empty food containers and random objects around the house. Sort of another way of recycling without using a bin. After dinner, I told Andrew to gather a few "groceries" in his shopping basket (the basket off the front of my bicycle) that he would like to purchase using his real money. In the middle of shopping, I noticed that Caleb had a full diaper, so I went to undiaper and give him a bath. As I bathed his little brother, Andrew cleaned the toilet (per my instructions) and regaled me with a cute little story about his future family that went something like...

"My wife works at Savemart Supermarket. But she's over at the factory place. She does all the cleaning of things. I do all the cleaning at home so that she doesn't have to. I work at the toilet cleaning place."

"That must be hard work. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it, huh?"

"Yeah."

"Who does all the cooking?"

"We both do. How much does a baby book cost?"

"Oh, about $10. Do you guys have a baby?"

"We've got 2!"

"What are their names?"

"Um.... (makes that little looking to the left thinking face of his) we're still thinking of them."

Caleb pulls the plug and lets the water drain out, signaling the end of bath time. I gather his toys and wrap him in a towel, making an exit to his room. In parting I tell Andrew

"Tell your wife I said hi and that she needs to stop by and pick up some donuts (one of Andrew's wishful diet staples, of course)"

"Okay. Do you need to pick up donuts from Savemart?"

"No, silly! That's why I'm telling her to pick some up from my supermarket."

Done packaging Caleb up in his post bath diaper, we go out to the kitchen to finish up our shopping.

It's so cute to hear Andrew make up these kinds of stories. He's a bright, imaginative kid with a heart of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment